I made this project bag yesterday. I was feeling a little hormonal and tired, and I needed a nice easy project that would give me maximum satisfaction. And, importantly, be a project for me, not for the baby, Teddy or a necessity.
I took my time over this bag, which I'm hoping will be the first of a handful (hey, maybe I'll even write up a tutorial, or make a few for the etsy store, if there's some interest), ready and waiting to be picked up on the way out of the door and filled with everything I could need for a knitting project.
The drawstring bag contains...
A little zippered pouch to keep essentials in, such as...
Scissors, pen, needle book, measuring tape (complete with felt/velcro closure) and brightly coloured wool for stitch markers (I've never been able to get on with actual stitch markers). The needle book, scissor holder and tape measure fastener were ridiculously speedy to construct (the joys of sewing with felt), and make me feel like the whole thing is more a project 'kit' than just an assortment of spare bits from my sewing room.
I said I took time over the little details with this project, and it was totally worth it. The measuring tape label and drawstring make me very, very happy. They're made from Japanese tape from my LQS. I am manfully resisting a massive (read: expensive) order of Japanese tape from Superbuzzy or Etsy to make more drawstring bags (it's not terribly cheap to buy this kind stuff in the UK, on the whole, especially if you can create an order large enough from the States or Japan to justify the inevitable customs charge handling fee from the Post Office. Finding enough for large orders is not a problem round these parts. Paying for said large orders is slightly more problematic).
The other detail you might have noticed is the laminated A5 pattern. I printed it onto A4, changing the print setting to two pages per A4 page and making it double sided (although, given the temperament of my printer, it would have been far quicker to have just printed two pieces of paper and laminated them together), then laminated it. Obviously, by 'laminated', I mean 'sandwiched between two pieces of sticky backed plastic', not anything fancy involving machinery and heat. I don't think I'll bother with every single pattern I do, but for one that's likely to be on the needles for a couple of weeks or more (which this shawl most certainly is, given the imminent baby arrival), or that I might make more than once, it's a nice way of keeping the pattern a little bit less dog eared and worn.
If you're observant (or, indeed, even if you're not, since I just stuck a picture in front of you), you'll have noticed that the knitting project bag co-ordinates rather nicely with my change bag. No accident - I am totally in love with this linen/denim/Liberty print combo. To me, it's the perfect mix of rugged, practical and downright gorgeous. i've got a couple more 'chuck in the change bag' projects on the go, which I'll hopefully get a chance to (a) finish and (b) photograph and blog about before the baby appears.
Incidentally, these photos were taken at our first family trip of the year to the beach. I couldn't believe how mild it was, even though it's still only March and we went yesterday evening after Adam finished work. Technically, I suppose it's not exactly the first trip of the year, since we went a few weeks back, but it was so cold that I refused to get out of the car, so I'm totally not counting that one. Spring is most definitely here, though, if we're able to squeeze in beach trips after office hours!