Finished the top for this just before falling into bed last night, so it definitely counts as an official KCWC finish! It's the Oliver+ S sailboat pants and top. I had originally planned to make this top out of crazy monkey fabric, but I screwed up the knit attempting to top stitch it, and decided I might benefit from a practice run on a woven first. I've decided to make the monkey version again, but abandon the top stitching, and probably just use iron on hemming for cuffs and facings. Cheat? Totally, but I still think the monkey fabric would be a cool contrast to the little sailor outfit, which is just a bit contrived for my rough and tumble boy, much as I adore it (fingers crossed that Jasper grows up slightly more precious, so I can indulge this kind of sewing without seeing it covered in grass stains four minutes later. Actually, scrap that. I like my kids scruffy, saves laundry time).
- Pattern: Oliver + S sailboat pants and top, bought here.
- Size: Age 4, the smallest size in the age 4-8 pattern set. I didn't make any adjustments as I wanted to see how these fit straight out of the packet. I'm planning on making more...
- Fabrics: Organic denim and organic handloom cotton. The handloom is originally from Bishopston Trading (via Ebay). It is fairly light and fine, perfect for an airy summer cover up for my fair boy. It is, however, distinctly aqua, rather than the greyish-duck egg it appeared in my semi-dark studio the other day, making it rather less manly than might have been hoped. Never mind. Valuable lesson in choosing fabrics in natural light.
- I used some smallish grey vintage buttons I had kicking around my stash, as I didn't want anything too flamboyantly sailor-esque. I like them.
- I should have done the topstitching in lighter blue or grey. The navy I used is too dark, really.
- The fit looks great on these, although I haven't actually put them on Teddy yet. Planning that for the next vaguely warm day, will take some pics then.
I've got a couple more half started projects from last week, which you can expect to see popping up over the next week or so. If you're looking for more kids clothes inspiration, check out the amazing KCWC Flickr group - so many talented sewists out there creating for their kids, grandkids, godkids, friend's kids...