Photos courtesy of various guests.
Right. The rest of the handmade stuff. I'm splitting this into a few posts for the sake of my (and your) sanity. First up, the toddler outfit (am I allowed to call him a toddler still? He'll be three in September. Preschooler maybe).
I was rather pleased with it. I only made it about 10 days before the wedding, as Teddy seems to have been in one long growth spurt since about March, so if I'd made it much more in advance there was some danger he'd have grown out of it before it was needed.
He got lots of compliments for his outfit, and I didn't get even slightly bored of saying, "oh, I made it" when people asked where it was from. I may actually never get bored of saying that, which probably makes me insufferably smug and irritating. But I'm cool with that.
Anyway, project notes.
Project notes - Teddy's wedding trousers
- The pattern is Dapper Dillingers (in my head they have become the Dappy Dillingers, for some reason) from Figgy's. If you're looking for a UK stockist I wholeheartedly recommend Backstitch - I had great service and speedy delivery.
- I made a practise run in age 4-5 from some cream twill (which I bought about 18 months ago to make dungarees. Ahem) a few weeks before the wedding. It turned out rather enormous - Teddy is tall (and chubby), so I automatically make the next size up in most patterns, but in this case the age 2-3 size was big enough for him aged 2 and 7 months. Possibly the fact that the next size was intended to be suitable for five year olds should have given me a hint here. On the upside, the cream pair will fit for a year or so. The downside was having to re-trace the pattern in a smaller size
- I love love love this pattern. Lots of room even for bottoms still needing nappies, nice wide legs, and a thick waistband, so no digging in. They just look comfy. In fact, I rather like the look of most of the patterns at Figgy's, especially this pinafore dress (someone needs to have a girl!). There are a few versions of it in the Figgy's Flickr group.
- The pattern was also pretty easy to follow. I got a little confused on the trouser hems, and I'm not entirely sure I did them correctly, but they did the trick. Also I struggled both times with the waistband facing - the front panel of waistband facing was just a fraction of an inch short in both versions I made. However, I'm fairly lax about following instructions when sewing, so it's entirely possible that it's my fault.
- The fabric was the same neutral striped linen that I used for my handbag - I had some left over and got an extra metre on clearance at my local fabric shop. The bag is still going strong, so I'm hoping the trousers will last a while too. The waistband facing and pocket lining is made from Liberty print, the same as Adam's shirt (post on that coming soon, but there are pictures in yesterday's post to keep you going for now). The total cost of this outfit was about £14, most of which was on the Liberty print, which is nicely in keeping with our budget wedding.
- I can see this becoming my go-to trouser pattern for Teddy. Not least because I have it traced in two sizes and I know it fits. I can also see it working well in a few difference weights of fabric, although I guess I've missed the boat on using the nice grey striped linen I bought with another pair of summer trousers in mind. Maybe next year.
Project notes - Teddy's wedding waistcoat
- The pattern is an Ottobre one, issue 3/2010 (Summer). I'd like to take a moment to suggest that if you're ever planning on tracing one of those notoriously confusing Ottobre pattern sheets (scroll down for an image) that you do it on somewhat more than eight seconds sleep every night for the past three months. I managed it, but the language wasn't pretty.
- I should have trusted my measurements more. When I measured Teddy's upper body it came out as a larger measurement than would be expected for his height, if you know what I mean (in Ottobre terms, it meant the length corresponded to the 104cm height measurements, whereas the rest of his measurements corresponded to size 98cm). I should have trusted my measurement, but figured I must be being a bit generous, so didn't add as much length to the waistcoat as the measurement suggested (I did add a bit though). It was fine, but definitely would have benefited from an inch or two more length. I suppose it would have helped if we'd ever got round to tucking in his t-shirt too.
- I really liked this waistcoat, and was impressed with how straightforward the construction was. Ottobre patterns don't come with much in the way of instructions, but if you have some idea about garment construction and take care to think it through for a few moments before each step, their garments all seem to come together reasonably efficiently and very accurately.
- The linen was that striped linen again, and the back was made from a Liberty print called Eliza's Owls, which I love. it added a little fun kick to the outfit - I am always alarmed by kids in excessively formal clothes, and really didn't want Teddy looking so stiff and formal and smart that I didn't feel he could play with other kids. I think it worked out pretty well
- On the off chance I ever need to make another child's waistcoat, I'll definitely use this pattern. I love the little collar, somehow makes it all a bit more cool and casual.
- Oh, and the buttons were some vintage mother of pearl ones from my bottomless button jar.