I started this quilt a few years ago, at a Brit Bee meet up long before I was even pregnant with Percy. I remember mainly because everyone laughed at the ridiculously tiny hexagons and informed me that I would never finish a quilt in 3/4" hexies. Of course, they may yet be proved right...
The hexagons are a mix of Liberty prints from my stash and shop, screen printed fabrics and scraps in shades of pink, yellow, grey and orange, sewn together completely randomly with blobs of darker pink here and there. The construction, despite the randomness, has been fairly methodical. After basting a tin full of hexagons (most of my english paper piecing projects travel around in one of a variety of biscuit tins. Every now and again I make zippy pouches or project bags but they always seem to be stolen and repurposed by my children within a matter of days, so I revert to the biscuit tin) I sew them together in rows of five, trying to pick hexagons fairly randomly (my only vague rule is to make sure that there are slightly more pink hexagons than other colours, but even that isn't hard and fast). Once I've sewn perhaps half the tin into rows of five hexagons, I'll sew the rows into blocks of five rows, so 25 hexagons per block. And only once I have perhaps 10-15 blocks sewn will I actually attach them to the quilt top, which is a rather less logical shape as I wanted to commit to the dimensions early on, so I sewed blocks in a cross shape to the minimum full length and width that I wanted to end up with, and added bits on from there.
The darker coloured spots were introduced when I realised that the whole thing was going to be pretty bland all by itself. The green spot is an experiment, I'm not sure if it will make the final cut (or stitch).
I love love love the colours in this quilt, far more girly than anything that exists in my house, and I can't wait for it to be finished. Hopefully before the end of 2015.
Linking up with Lee's WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.