Sign ups are now CLOSED. Thanks to all of you that have signed up, and if you missed the boat this time, I'm sure there will be a round two later this year. If you want to volunteer to be an angel, please drop me an email at email@example.com.
If you follow me on instagram (I'm @lifeinlists on there) you'll have seen that I'm organising a hand pieced mini quilt swap on there. If you fancy joining in, sign ups are now OPEN.
This is a mini quilt swap, based around Instagram (if you're not a member of Instagram, why not sign up to join in the picture-sharing fun of this swap?), and we'll be using the hashtag #handpiecedminiswap to share pictures throughout the duration of the swap. Before you complete the sign up form, please read all the information below and make sure you understand and agree with it all before you sign up. If you have any questions at all, please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org before you sign up.
1. First and foremost, this is a hand pieced swap. This means that we want anyone who loves english paper piecing, needle turn appliqué or straightforward hand piecing of patchwork pieces. Hand quilting is more than welcome on any quilts, but please don't sign up if you want to machine piece and then hand quilt your work. Machine quilting/binding of a hand pieced quilt is absolutely fine if you want to do that once you've hand pieced your quilt, however. So are we clear on that? We looooove the hand piecing!
2. This is an international swap. This means that there is a good chance you will be shipping your parcel internationally (tracked, insured etc. We don't want this stuff lost), so please be aware that you're going to have to pay for some possibly not-entirely-cheap shipping.
3. Sign up are open now and will close at 6am BST on Monday 13th April, which means that for those of you in the US, you need to sign up before you go to bed on Sunday 12th April, as you'll be out of luck on the Monday morning.
4. Partner information will be sent out within one week of sign ups closing, and you will then have a full three months until 19th July to ship your parcel (26th July for domestic shipping). I was originally planning a shorter deadline but you all peer pressured me into making it longer so more of you could sign up. I'm just nice like that.
5. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE only sign up for this swap if you can definitely make the above deadline. I know that sometimes life happens, but the nature of hand pieced quilts is that they are s-l-o-w. If you haven't posted some evidence of starting your quilt within a month, I'll be chasing you up to make sure you'll be able to finish it in time. Angel quilts are going to be every bit as slow as the original ones, so we really don't want any last minute flakes in this swap as it's going to be so sad for your partners when they have to wait forever for an angel quilt.
6. This is going to be a secret swap. You will know who you are making for, but not who is making for you.
7. You will be required to make, as a minimum, a (quilted and bound) mini quilt that measures at least 18' x 18" and no more than 26" x 26".
8. Even though this is a secret swap until your partner opens their parcel, I still want it to be a special make-a-friend sort of one. I would love you to also include some extras in your parcel (little pouch, chocolates, local souvenir, pincushion, quilting notions, whatever you think your partner would love). Feel free to stalk their social media sites to work out just what your partner would love to receive.
9. We all love hand piecing, so we're going to be desperate to see updates of your work as your quilt progresses! Use the hashtag #handpiecedminiswap on Instagram and Twitter so we can all see your work. And remember I'll be using that hashtag to check up intermittently to make sure quilts are progressing. I know it's a bit, ermm, sinister to keep going on about how I'll be watching you, but this isn't a swap where I can just leap in and whip up another quilt in a weekend if someone goes incommunicado, so I really want to make sure that everyone is able to complete their quilts on time where possible.
10. Your partner is going to need an inspiration mosaic/pinterest board within a reasonable timeframe (within a week or so of sign ups closing if you can manage it) so they can get started on your quilt.
11. You're going to need an Instagram account to participate in this swap. If you haven't got one, now is the perfect time to sign up and join in with the fun!
12. Be aware that even if you are a fervent english paper piecer, you might be receiving a quilt made by an ardent needle turn appliquér. I'm not going to attempt to divide this swap up by different types of hand piecers, so do keep that in mind.
Gosh, that's a lot of information! Read it all? Still want to sign up? Hurrah! Click right HERE to be taken to the sign up form (and if you notice any glaring errors or omissions on the form, please let me know. I am sleep deprived and there's every chance I've forgotten something basic like a box to put your email address in).